Friday, August 30, 2013

Photo-Heart Connection: August 2013

The idea: At the end of each month, review the images you worked with in 
that month for the one that gives you the strongest connection to your heart 
and soul. Write about that connection to the image in a blog post... 
then link into the monthly link up.



So about a mile away from the house I ask my 16yo if he has all his paperwork
for his driving test. "What paperwork?" he asks. He looks it up on his phone.
Then we head back home for the stuff he forgot.

Then about half way to the DMV, as he's filling out the application, he
discovers that he needs his social security number. We head back home again.
He was 30 minutes late for his appointment. That, apparently, is the limit
that's granted. So he had to re-schedule, but got a guy behind the counter
who was nice enough to "change" his appointment instead of classifying him
as a no-show, so he doesn't have to pay the fee twice.

On the way home my son voiced his suspicion that his forgetfulness was not
completely surprising to him; he's been feeling very ambivalent about getting
his license and driving to his own activities without one of his parents sitting
next to him.

I am so proud of my son for being so self-aware at 16. It has been such an
honor to be sharing his path and watching him blossom into a fine man.
There continues to be bumps along the way, but to me that is a sign that he
is trying many things to figure out who he is.

I love this photograph because it is a capture of him at this exact moment in
time; a boy in a man's body; his sideburns which mean so much to him; his
comfort in his own body as he rests after a big leap into the river; his
enjoyment of the sun and this moment in his joyful life.

Technically I like the composition of this image, and the depth of field. The
sun is just so perfect too, without harsh shadows on his face. I love that I did
not manipulate this photo in any way, except to reduce the resolution before
posting online. I feel so grateful that I am finally getting a handle on my DSLR.

This month I actually have a second image that pulled on my heart strings;
I couldn't choose just one:



This is ADD boy, as I think of him. He was such an incredible challenge for me,
from the moment I birthed him in the back seat of his dad's car 13 years ago;
and throughout the 6 grades through which I homeschooled him; and
throughout the continuing process of getting his needs met appropriately now
that he is in school.

I am in a place right now where this boy brings me such joy. I can't remember
the last time I wanted to strangle him (metaphorically speaking). Now that
his education is in someone else's hands, and now that he is getting old enough
to care about being more organized, and now that he is relating to family
more appropriately, he is nothing but funny.

Of course this has a lot to do with where I am in my own life. Now that his
education is in someone else's hands, and now that I don't have him with me
so constantly, I find myself able to enjoy him way more. When I looked out
the car window on a recent long drive, I found myself loving the way he was
using up his excess energy by making funny faces in the side view mirror.
And appreciating how he has always responded to the feeling of the wind
pressing against him. And reflecting on how freaking funny this kid is.

I love the photograph itself because it comes from my point-and-shoot which
lives in my handbag. The DSLR is with me when I'm "going somewhere" but
the point-and-shoot I have at all times; for moments that happen in the blink
of an eye, just like this. I love the gas station on the upper left and the defogging
squiggles on the right. I love that it feels like a capture. And I love the reminder
that for me taking pictures is first and foremost about documenting my life,
and making art is just what sometimes happens along the way.

To enjoy more Photo-Heart Connections, please go here. Or click on the
button to the right.

No comments: